Seva-in-Action (SiA), a voluntary organization was established in the year 1985, with the mission of empowering persons with disabilities and to create equitable opportunities for an inclusive society. Realizing wide gap between the services available and services needed, SiA set out with identifying and reaching out rehabilitation programme for children with disabilities (CWDs) working very closely with local communities to develop and implement socially, culturally and economically appropriate services with holistic approach. The entire programme is based on demystifying and transferring technology in simple and relevant terms at community level. SiA also works through the local committees and families of children with disabilities at the local levels in rural areas of Karnataka.
Livelihood opportunities for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities has been a big challenge in our country. SiA is focusing on skill development for better access to livelihood opportunities through wage employment or self-employment.
SiA is the member of Central Advisory Board for disabilities (CABD) MSJE GOI which is responsible for advising the central government in implementing RPD 2016. SiA also in EC committee of Samagra Siksha in Karnataka (SSK). SiA has been on various committees of the Central and State Government to develop policies and training programs.
AREAS OF WORK:
SiA works through the following pronged approach: –
- Community Based Activities (CBA) – Education through Resource Centers Ramanagara and Hosakote
- Prevocational and Skills Development training for Livelihood opportunities for Adults with Disabilities.
- Research, Training & Resource Development for Inclusive Education
- Networking with the Government System
- International Consultancy for organization working in the area of Inclusive education